5/20/2016

Erasmus is my worst experience

Three years ago I was in my final year of BA program in cultural studies at University of Warsaw. I was supposed to spend the fall semester in Aarhus, Denmark. I really wanted to go there. A year before my exchange I started to learn Danish. I picked my courses. I imagined how it would be, I walked through Nobelparken campus, and I through Copenhagen, where I planned to visit Astrid, a Danish playwright, so I could write my thesis about her. I was really exited about my Shakespeare class and a trip to his hometown, Stratford-upon-Avon.  It was supposed to be a life adventure.
And so it was. 
I will never forget it. Regretfully, not for all those things that I imagined, which in general went quite well.
I came back with a disease and I'll treat it for the rest of my life. My parents spent apx. 5,000 euros on my abroad expenses. After all, my university refused to acknowledge any of the achievements and forced me to retake the entire senior year. 

How did this happen? 
It started with having my documents lost, but it seems to be much more than an administrative mistake. It turns out that the international coordinator at AU was replace somewhere in between the time I applied for Erasmus and the time I left for Denmark, which I of course didn't know that time. I had no idea that I'll find myself abroad on a contract which doesn't give any credit for courses done abroad and the person able to support the contract in Denmark had quit.
It had to take me time until my arrival  to learn that.
 

I applied online, but my application was sent to a wrong person. After 5 weeks I got an e-mail from Ann Carroll, the coordinator of linguistics? to tell me that I can't register for 2 out of 3 courses I picked, because entry lists are already full. Aarhus Universitet acted like nothing had happened and offered me only classes which didn't have any entry limits, which didn't have much to do with my study programe. Well, I thought loosing student's application is pretty normal and I wanted to change my schedule on my arrival to Aarhus.

Before I went abroad I signed a learning agreement upon the condition that I'll take all of the courses mandatory for the senior year on my return. The coordinator said it was often used and totally normal solution at my home uni, but it means that under this Erasmus agreement, no exchange is allowed.


After my arrival Aarhus Universitet was only able to check me out from entry lists, without offering any replacements. In third week A.C barely made it to register me for  prof. A.K's class. (By the way I guess it speaks for itself that A.K. was the former international coordinator). I wasn't registered for another class I asked for, not even upon the lecturer's request. As A.C told me, there was some waiting list, even though in the same time entry list wasn't full. Then she explained that it is too late and I can't catch up with the group after I missed two classes. Finally, she refused to put me on the list. 

Coordinator of the receiving university from the start had no idea of what do I study and as a result offered to me only the courses without entry limit, which then my home university refused to acknowledge.

I was left alone with a lack of ECTS points. I didn't get any advice from my home university. No reply from the coordinator. Nothing. After all, I had to extend my stay for a second term. I had to do a number of ECTS points meant for two years of studying  and this way I lost any chance for graduating on time, because I had to pass the exams in Poland extramurally. It means that my home university expected me to do twice as much as other students in the senior year in the exactly same time.

Of course, I failed. I started to retake my last year with three courses that I had pay for beacuse I haven't pass them. Few months later I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma( pituitary tumor), which is a hormonal disease. It's not genetic or contagious. The cause factor can be only stress. 
I lost something that I really valued. Before Erasmus I was in good health. I don't know of what will happen in a year, I'm not sure of anything anymore. Except one - this shouldn't have happened ...








Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Dziękuję za komentarz! Mam nadzieję, że spodobał Ci się post i zapraszam na następny. xoxo



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...